It’s been a long day. You’re finally ready to relax and let all your worries slowly melt away. You pour yourself a hot cup of tea, slip into some sweatpants, and open a brand new novel. You’re not even halfway through the first chapter when it happens; as a bookworm, it’s one of the greatest feelings: finding a quote that just ignites something in you. Perhaps it’s something you’ve been trying to say, but could never find the right words. Maybe it’s the kind of quote that makes you want to find the nearest highlighter, or even take a photo and frame it on your wall. There’s a distinctive beauty in words and how they can evoke certain emotions.
Books are simply magical. Think of it this way: Reading a book is like traveling. When you travel, you acquire new and inspiring perspectives. Just as if you’re visiting a different country, you’re delving into a new world when you read. You’re guaranteed to learn and carry those lessons with you for the rest of your life.
So, I’ve decided to share some quotes that have really encouraged me. I hope they inspire you as well.
- “You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view… Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.” – Harper Lee, “To Kill a Mockingbird”
- “So, I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we’ll never know most of them. But even if we don’t have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.” – Stephen Chbosky, “The Perks of Being a Wallflower”
- “This is what love does: It makes you want to rewrite the world. It makes you want to choose the characters, build the scenery, guide the plot. The person you love sits across from you, and you want to do everything in your power to make it possible, endlessly possible. And when it’s just the two of you, alone in a room, you can pretend that this is how it is, this is how it will be.” – David Levithan, “Every Day”
- “We’re all human, aren’t we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving.” – J.K. Rowling, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows”
- “People are who they are and, try as you might, you cannot make them be what you want them to be.” – Leila Sales, “This Song Will Save Your Life”
- “At some point, you just pull off the Band-Aid, and it hurts, but then it’s over and you’re relieved.” – John Green, “Looking for Alaska”
- “Fear is only your enemy if you allow it to be.” – Sabaa Tahir, “An Ember in the Ashes”
- “Look at everything always as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time: Thus is your time on earth filled with glory.” – Betty Smith, “A Tree Grows in Brooklyn”
- “We never know what is going to happen, do we? Life is always throwing us this way and that. That’s where the adventure is. Not knowing where you’ll end up or how you’ll fare. It’s all a mystery, and when we say any different, we’re just lying to ourselves. Tell me, when have you felt most alive?” – Eowyn Ivey, “The Snow Child”
- “I’ve found that there is always some beauty left — in nature, sunshine, freedom, in yourself; these can all help you.” – Anne Frank, “The Diary of a Young Girl”
What are some of your favorite book quotes? Leave them in the comments below!